Jake is a dedicated music educator and piano instructor. He currently offers in-home and in-studio private lessons in piano performance, composition, music theory and fundamentals. Students must have access to a piano or electronic keyboard. Jake has experience teaching all ages, from 6 to 60 and beyond.
Continue reading for credentials, or start learning right away by reading the music theory articles on Jake’s Blog and by checking out the mini-lesson on his Video page. If you want to learn more, contact Jake to set up a lesson!
- B.A. in Music with Honors in Composition, Stanford 2006
- 9 years teaching private lessons to all ages, 2005-2014
- 12 years assisting a jazz lecture class for adults at Stanford with the director of the Stanford jazz program and Stanford Jazz Workshop, Jim Nadel, 2003-2014
- 1 year teaching volunteer piano and group theory lessons with Stanford community outreach group MELODY at John Gill Elementary school, 2002-2003
- 14 years playing jazz, blues, rock, reggae, electronica and folk professionally in the Bay Area, 2000-2014
- Toured throughout the U.S. and Canada with internationally renowned blues harpist and vocalist John Németh, 2009
- Toured throughout the Far West, Southwest and Rocky Mountain regions of the U.S. with rock band Sioux City Kid, 2010-2014, including an appearance at South by Southwest 2011
- Has performed at Yoshi’s Oakland, the Great American Music Hall, the Independent and Shoreline Amphitheater, among other venues
- 26 years studying and playing piano
- 24 years composing, including compositions for big band, small ensemble, film, electronics and solo piano.
- 22 years studying and playing jazz