Jake is a dedicated music educator and piano instructor. He currently offers in-home and in-studio private lessons in piano performance, composition, music theory and fundamentals. Students must have access to a piano or electronic keyboard. Jake has experience teaching all ages, from 3 to 89 and beyond. If you want to learn more, contact Jake to set up a lesson!
Can’t wait to start learning? Check out the following piano tutorial video!
- B.A. in Music with Honors in Composition, Stanford 2006
- 12 years teaching private lessons to all ages, 2005-2017
- 15 years assisting a jazz lecture class for adults at Stanford with the director of the Stanford jazz program and Stanford Jazz Workshop, Jim Nadel, 2003-2017
- 3 years as a rhythm section and piano coach for Stanford Jazz Workshop’s Giant Steps middle school big band, 2015-2017
- 1 year teaching volunteer piano and group theory lessons with Stanford community outreach group MELODY at John Gill Elementary school, 2002-2003
- 17 years playing jazz, blues, rock, reggae, electronica and folk professionally in the Bay Area, 2000-2017
- Toured throughout the U.S. and Canada with internationally renowned blues harpist and vocalist John Németh, 2009
- Toured throughout the Far West, Southwest and Rocky Mountain regions of the U.S. with rock band Sioux City Kid, 2010-2014, including an appearance at South by Southwest 2011
- Has performed at Yoshi’s Oakland, the Great American Music Hall, B.B. King’s New York, the Independent and Shoreline Amphitheater, among other venues
- 29 years studying and playing piano
- 26 years composing, including compositions for big band, small ensemble, film, electronics and solo piano.
- 24 years studying and playing jazz